"WE PROVED THE FEASIBILITY, SUSTAINABILITY AND AFFORDABILITY OF BRINGING ELECTRICITY TO RURAL HOMES"
Cajamarca, the location to start the Luz en Casa programme in 2009, is the department with the highest rates of poverty and lack of electrification in Peru, which is the country with the highest number of population without access to the electricity service after Haiti.
Within this setting, we started Luz en Casa with the aim of showing that is was feasible, sustainable and affordable -with the appropriate technology and management- to bring a quality basic electricity service to low-income households in dispersed, isolated rural communities. With this purpose, we implemented an innovative electricity service delivery model, in rural communities around the town of Cajamarca, that was based on the provision of electricity with solar home systems in return of an affordable monthly fee.
We achieve the Luz en Casa objective when exceeding 3,000 systems in operation. We also have introduced some improvements in the model proposed in the beginning, such as the creation of the "Centro Luz en Casa" microfranchises. They are owned by users, specifically trained to be in charge of installing and repairing the systems, as well as selling and repairing compatible electric devices. All this results in significant impacts on the programme beneficiaries' quality of life.
Impact summary in 2022
11,379,240 h/yearavailable lighting
2,528,680 h/yearfor additional activities at home
214,802 h/yearfor doing additional homework
611,310 soles/yearsavings in energy expenditure (151,955 €/year)
1.64 t/year batterynon-controlled disposal avoided
2,011.09 t/year CO2emissions avoided
HOUSEHOLDS PROVIDED WITH ELECTRICITY
MILESTONES IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF LUZ EN CASA
- 2009: Initial investment from ACCIONA to start up the initiative.
- 2010: Participation in the conversations for a favourable electricity regulatory framework: official tariff for rural electrification with solar home systems, which was included in the cross subsidy systems.
- 2011: Obtaining of the first rural electrical concessions, and the condition of provider of electricity service, first in Peru with solar home systems exclusively.
- 2013: Loan from the Interamerican Development Bank that allows a large escalation of the programme. Achievement of the break-even point.
- 2014: External studies (case studies and impact measurement) confirm the positive impact of Luz en Casa on the population.
- 2015: Development of the micro franchises "Centro Luz en Casa" to offer supplies and services in the communities.
New solar home systems for the first homes benefited with Luz en Casa08/24/2023 Luz en Casa
In 2009, we started ‘Luz en Casa’ to bring access to the electricity basic service, through solar home systems, to isolated rural communities in Cajamarca (Peru). Today, we implement a pilot project to replace 50 of the first systems installed in Cajamarca with third generation systems, which are more sustainable and make easier the O&M.