“WE OFFER A SUSTAINABLE SOLUTION TO BRING ELECTRICITY TO COMMUNITIES IN THE LARGEST RAINFOREST IN THE PLANET”
Since 2017 we bring Luz en Casa to the Peruvian Amazonia, for which we developed a new electricity delivery model to implement with an ambitious programme to deploy progressively.
We started in the Napo river basin, by executing a pilot project to validate the technology and management model proposed, which gave results of high satisfaction of the users with the offered service and verifying, thus, the validity of the proposal.
Then, we began the escalation of the programme along the Napo river, the replication in other Amazonian river basins in Peru, such as Amazonas and Ucayali, and the development of an additional electricity service delivery model through micro grid.
By this way, we will extend a clean solution of electrification for rural, indigenous remote communities, as well as we have made possible minimizing the use of fossil fuels, candles, oil lamps or batteries for torches, radios, etc., which is impacting positively in their health, economy, education...
Impact summary in 2022
6,038,803 h/yearavailable lighting
1,707,714 h/yearfor additional activities at home
207,083 h/yearfor doing additional homework
267,869 soles/yearsavings in energy expenditure (67,600€/year)
10.84 t/year batterynon-controlled disposal avoided
859,54 t/year CO2emissions avoided
HOUSEHOLDS PROVIDED WITH ELECTRICITY
CONTEXT AND BEGINNINGS OF LUZ EN CASA AMAZONIA
- The access to electricity for all in the Amazonian communities is not feasible by conventional means.
- These communities are settled in remote locations with exclusively fluvial access, extreme weather & rain conditions, and several social conflicts.
- The grid extension to those settlements implies high investment, operation & maintenance costs. In addition, it impacts negatively in the environment.
- Within this setting, we proposed an innovative electricity delivery model with renewable energy and technical-economic sustainability and affordability criteria.
- We conceived a pilot project to validate the technology -third generation solar home systems- and the management model -electricity service in return of an affordable fee to pay through an integrated Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) system-.
- This service is given supported on Centros Luz en Casa located strategically in the operation area.
- The place selected to start this project was Peru, where we execute Luz en Casa since 2009, and specifically the Napo river basin, where we can develop synergies with other entities working in that area.
The little store of Romelio and Carmen benefits from our first micro grid04/20/2022 Luz en Casa Amazonia
In Copal Urco, more than 50 households, schools and community centres receive electricity from the first micro grid of acciona.org, improving the quality of life of this Peruvian Amazonian community. The access to sustainable photovoltaic energy benefits the only store in the community and it can open more hours during the night.